City of St Cloud
Wastewater Treatment Facility
Before 1956, wastewater in the City of St. Cloud was not treated. All wastewater from homes and businesses was dumped directly to the Mississippi River without treatment. The City of St. Cloud’s first wastewater treatment facility was constructed in 1956 and was located near 4th Avenue South.
In 1972, the federal Clean Water Act allowed for funding to be distributed to communities to build wastewater treatment facilities to protect the health of the nation’s waterways.
The total amount of DC energy generated by the solar arrays installed by iDEAL Energies.
Pounds of CO2
The energy generated by this solar array offsets this much greenhouse gas emissions.
This solar array offsets the CO2 emissions from powering this many homes for one year using non-renewable fuel sources.
This solar array offsets the same amount of CO2 as tree seedlings grown for 10 years.
Waste Water Treatment Facility
Since 1972, St. Cloud staff has embraced, and continues to expand upon, a paradigm shift that has taken St. Cloud’s wastewater treatment processes from sewage treatment, to wastewater treatment and now to resource recovery. Today, the St. Cloud Nutrient, Energy and Water (NEW) Recovery Facility is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally leader for their innovative wastewater treatment and resource recovery strategies.
The NEW Recovery Facility is located in south St. Cloud. Treatment is shared contractually among these communities including St. Augusta, St. Joseph, Sartell, Sauk Rapids, and Waite Park. The facility is designed to treat an average flow of 13 million gallons per day generated from a population of over 120,000 people.
There are 5 main steps to treating domestic and industrial wastewater.
- Preliminary treatment
- Primary treatment
- Secondary treatment
- Final clarification
- Solids processing
|Facility Size:||32.8 acres|
|Array Footprint:||.89 acre|
|System Size:||394.16 kWDC|
|Central Services||39.96 kWDC|